Skip to main content

Tell Me A Story

Greetings to the story lovers out there.
Tell Me A Story began as a thought not too long ago. I'd recently found myself speed reading through three books in three days and felt the sudden anguish of not having anyone to discuss them with. No friends or siblings or co-workers who had picked up the same random assortment of YA fiction, Narrative nonfiction, and children's classics who would be willing to sit and talk about them for two or three hours straight. I know everyone has experienced something similar. Whether you've read a book, watched some obscure movie that no one has heard of, or you recently discovered a gem in the most recent video game sale, you want to share it with others, and there is nothing more frustrating than when you can't do that.

My first solution to this was to keep a reading journal; taking notes as a read so I can express my thoughts about the characters and situations. But I realized, while that helps me understand what works for me in a story, it's too private. What I really love-- thanks to four years of English studies and literature classes-- is the discussion of the books and why things work. And so, here is my solution. A place where I can record my opinions on stories and still open it up to discussion among other avid readers.

Tell Me A Story is primarily my opinions of whatever I am currently reading. It's not a book review blog and I will avoid (to the best of my ability) declaring whether or not a story is "good." Instead, I want to focus on what elements work for me and what doesn't and why. I'd encourage you to read the books on your own and see if you agree or disagree and then let me know why. One of the greatest things about literature is having vastly differing opinions and every one of them is a valid viewpoint.

Here, you will find fiction from all genres and reading levels, some nonfiction, possibly some poetry though I'm not as confident in talking about poems, and sometimes other forms of story like films and video games. My concern is what stories these mediums are telling.

So I hope you will join me on this exploration of story and maybe find a gem among the shelves.

Update 9/28/18: I am now an affiliate with Z Publishing House. I do get a small commision from any purchases through this link (http://www.zpublishinghouse.com?rfsn=1831564.e6264). If anyone is interested in checking out some anthologies of emerging writers, this is a good place to go.


Sincerely, Kayla

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dream Library

    Photo by  Ivo Rainha  from  Pexels Hello travelers! If you're a book nerd, you may have spent hours thinking about your dream library. Whether it was the library from Beauty and the Beast or just a few floating shelves in your bedroom, everyone has an idea of what their dream library would look like if money and space were not a deciding factor.  My dream space is a room with built in shelves, large windows with a window seat and lots of pillows, and plants and a few nature or nerdy pictures on the walls. However, I have had the experience of moving a few times and each time my available space changes. At college, it was three shelves above my desk, in my first apartment, I shared a couple of bookshelves with my husband's music collection, and now I have five large book cases to call my own. This fluctuating library size has not cut into the number of books that I own (I don't have a problem. What are you talking about? Don't look in the closet!) but it...

Black Sci-fi and Fantasy Authors

Photo by  Oladimeji Ajegbile  from  Pexels Hello travelers, As I am sure many of you are aware, there is a huge push for racial justice in America, with 50 states and 18 countries participating in the protests. While I am unable to participate in any of the marches in my area, I have done what I can with signing petitions. Recently, I saw a hashtag going around social media called #BlackoutBestsellerList with the goal of making all of the New York Times Bestsellers be from Black authors. This could be accomplished if everyone bought two books by black authors before June 20th. I'll admit, I was a little late to the game, but that doesn't mean I can't participate and maybe we can continue this push in the coming weeks. While there is no way to list every book out there by black authors, I thought I would make a list with some that are not just the typical academic African-American literature. That's not to say there's anything wrong with those books; in fac...

Mid-Year Freak Out

Hello travelers, If any of you are avid Booktube fans like I am, I'm sure you've noticed this tag making the rounds right now. Some people did this back in June, others are only now getting theirs up. To be honest, it doesn't feel like the seventh month of the year. I still feel like it's March or April even though I know that's not the case. My calendar told me so.  Anyway, I thought I'd do a Freak Out post for you this week to "celebrate" the middle of the year. Firs off, a few rules: I'm using the questions posed by  Jesse the Reader  in his video, I will use one book per question-- meaning if I use a title as one answer, i cannot use it for another answer-- and finally, I can only use books that I have finished, not any that I am currently reading. 1. What's the Best Book you've read so far in 2020? Hands down, it's Nevernight by Jay Kristoff. As I've mentioned before, this book had me reading by the headlights of the cars behin...